Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Pictures of the Week: Life in Virginia

We are officially just over two weeks into our summer in Virginia.  It has been wonderful and relaxing. I haven't been able to get out and see as much as I would have wanted to (at this point) but I have a bucket list all written up and am slowly planning on times that I can accomplish everything I want to!  I have a feeling that the summer is going to go by too quickly!

Here are some pictures to document just some of the things we've been up to the past two weeks.  Enjoy!

Almost every night before bed, Noah and Clare will beg Andy to wrestle with them.  It's the perfect pre-bedtime activity, right?  Oddly enough, it makes them just tired enough to settle down when it's time.  After they wrestle they usually hide under a blanket and call for me to come find them.  Obviously our bedtime routine is different from most families :)


So, one of the wonderful things about our rental is that there is a treadmill in the basement.  It's wonderful.  I try to get up and use it before the kids are awake, but lets be honest, it's summer and that doesn't usually happen!  So they are good sports and will sit and watch a show or play while I run.  I realize I have it pretty good right now! 


One of the rewards for being so good while I exercise is that they get to walk on the treadmill (supervised of course) after I'm finished.  It's kind of silly but they really look forward to it! 


This tasted as good as it looks.  BBQ Chicken Tostadas.  Delish! 


The sleeping situation has been a little dicey at first.  We had Clare in a crib but it was a mini crib and her feet hung off the end.  A girl needs to stretch when she sleeps, so we decided to bite the bullet and move her to a big bed.  She sleeps with Noah, which I think helps, and has done surprisingly well!  If she ever acts up I just threaten to put her back in the crib and she will usually stay put.  Hopefully potty training goes as smoothly (I don't even know when I will have the guts to start that). 


I really want to get Clare a set of wheels for the summer, and she was testing these out at the store.  I still have yet to buy her something, but she looked so darned cute! 


We went to pick Andy up from work one evening and while we waited we hung around the fountain and played.  This picture is at the Reston Town Center. 


Clare, just being Clare.  It was a hot day and she was super sticky with sweat! I have noticed that her hair has some curl to it, and I would love for it to stay!  What is more adorable that an little redhead with some natural curl?!


Noah has been doing really well at earning things.  We have this system that seems to work for him.  A glass jar that we fill up with stones.  It starts out empty and when he is good, or listens we add stones to his jar.  If he misbehaves or doesn't listen then we take stones out of the jar.  The goal is to fill it up and he will receive a reward (usually a car).  Unfortunately Clare doesn't understand this concept yet and I worry I may have to give it up when she is old enough!  Boys are so easy, buy them a couple dollar car and they are happy!  Girls on the other hand, I have no idea what toys to buy Clare!  


After earning his latest car, Noah decided to line them all up!  We counted a total of 49 cars, all from the movie.  He has a slight obsession! 


Eating frozen yogurt from a place by our house.  Perfect summer treat! 


Since we had to leave our TV in Boston for our subtenant, I told Andy we should buy one for our place here (since one wasn't really provided).  We got a great deal at Costco and everyone walked away happy!  You know you've been living with a small (32 inch) TV for so long when your 4 year old keeps saying, "Wow, that's a really big TV!"  


We also got a little ice cream maker from Costco and the kids and I have had a lot of fun making frozen treats (they are my favorite after all)  So far we've made Strawberry Greek frozen yogurt, vanilla Greek frozen yogurt and Chocolate ice cream.  All have been delicious! 



We found this playground about 30 minutes away from our house.  It is intended for handicapped children (specifically in wheelchairs) to be able to play along side children who aren't.   It is HUGE and so wonderful to see so many children being able to enjoy the park together.  It even has a carousel in the middle,  we will definitely be going back, best playground ever. 








One of Noah's random moments of sleep.  We were chatting about something and when I realized he wasn't responding to me I found him like this.  Guess all I need to do is talk and it puts my kids to sleep! :) 


Andy, his brother Corey and myself all did a little run in downtown DC called Run or Dye.  It's a 5k where you pretty much get bombed with dye as you go.  We had a good time and the run was simple.  Some people were rolling around in the colors, but I opted to stay as clean as possible.  I joked with Andy that I was going to try and come out super clean, but of course that  makes you an easy target.  It was fun though :)  Going into DC we had this beautiful view of the Capital building.  <3



After the race we all went back to our place and got cleaned up, had lunch and just spent the afternoon together.   Jenessa and I let the kids have a little outdoor art time, which they loved!  They have so much fun together! 


Lastly, a picture of me and my girl.  I am realizing very quickly that she isn't a baby anymore (even though we still call her baby Clare).  I love that she likes to cuddle with me and hope that even as she gets older we can still have moments like these.






3 comments:

Stockhoff Family said...

Love love love this!!! It was so fun to see all the fun you had. I miss you guys so much. Thanks for sharing the pics and fun times!

Cari said...

You are in my second favorite place! We spent 4 months in Charlottesville, I love Virginia! Looks like a fun race!

M. Jorgensen said...

I want those fro yo treat recipes! PLEASE!!